Monday, November 28, 2011

Anthropologie Flamenco Shower Curtain DIY Knock-Off

To start, I just want to say,
"Y'all are gonna want to PIN IT"

I had a recent incident involving a cleaner with bleach and my bathroom rugs.
I figured, if I was replacing rugs I might as well get a new curtain. 
The one in there was from my wedding.

So, naturally, I was "just looking" at the Anthropologie site, 
and "fell in love" with their Flamenco Curtain.

It's beautiful.
And only $118.
My husband spoils me, but I doubt he would go for that.

So I made my own.
And I like it even better.

It cost $26 for fabric and dye + $15 for a basic white shower curtain.
(I could have used a sheet for free if I had been feeling ambitious with button holes.)

It looks amazing, pictures don't do it justice. 
Plus it's hard to cram in my little bathroom to snap a picture.


So here is how this went down:

I got 2.5 yards of 108" wide white muslin.  
(I should have gotten 3 yards...I need one more ruffle along the bottom.)

Ask the person cutting your fabric to TEAR not cut.
It will ensure it is straight. 
I would ask them to tear a clean edge at the start, measure, then tear again at the end.

When I got home, I TORE 7" strips. 
I tore them along the selvage (or finished edge--the 2.5 yard part).
That way each strip is 7" x 108"

(Again, tearing is much easier and more accurate than cutting.)

In retrospect, if I had made them 8" or 9" I would have needed less strips.

Next I threw all my strips into the wash with just a tiny bit of dye.

Here are my instructions for dying in the washing machine (SO EASY).

The first couple of layers are teal and a bit of pearl grey.
After the first load I took one strip out and threw them all back in with a tad more dye.
And so on and so on.

By the end the last layer had been dyed A LOT.
So had a couple layers in the middle to get the right color I wanted.

The middle layers are evening blue +grey, 
and royal blue+ grey on bottom.

I think adding the bit of grey kept them in the same palette.
(Which, to be honest, I think the Anthro version is lacking.) 

P.S. The RIT DYE website has a great formula guide.

I didn't dry or iron between washes, so each ruffle has a subtle wood-grain look that I love.

After they were all done I left the raw edges, ironed the strips, 
and sewed the ruffles onto a plain white curtain.

(Google how to sew ruffles if you need help.)


15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I like your colors better, too.

Shannon said...

Cute, Jackie! I love the colors and the wood grain look. Good work!

Saragers said...

Wowza. Looks amaaaaaazing!! I wish you had me for Christmas so I could beg you to make me one!!

Alan said...

Nice! I love DIY projects that turn out cheaper and better (or at very least, as functional) as the original.

Emily said...

This is seriously amazing!

Isabela Brigit said...

you are so crafty! i need to come spend some time with you...i'll cook in order to earn my stay :D

Dixie Mom said...

Rock star.

Sue said...

That curtain is the best thing ever. It would make taking a shower way more fun.

=)

CK said...

woah, good job Jackie!

Bridget said...

Way to go! Looks great. And love the toilet seat cover, too. :o)

Carrie said...

OH MY GOSH. AWESOME. You-crafty-girl-you;)

nelly said...

That is so cute! I like yours better. Good job Cousin!

SBB said...

I love it, Jackie! It looks awesome! And way to go, by the way, on the baby weight! I've still got 4 or 5 pounds to go, and gained a lot less than 60. You go, girl!

MysticMandy said...

This looks gorgeous. I found the link to it on the RIT blog. What an inspiration :)

Danielle R said...

These are fabulous! I wish I knew how to sew - you wouldnt happen to be taking orders for these would you?

Danielle
http://papercreativity.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...