Wednesday, July 14, 2010

File Cabinet re-do (re-visit)

http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/green-style/found-fabulous-filing-cabinet-makeover-122071Not quite two months ago I blogged about my file cabinet re-do.
I had no idea it was going to be so popular.
{Had I known, I would have written a better post about it.}
 
Fortunately, Design Mom, has done it for me.

She posted great directions over at Cafe Mom.
Which were also featured at Apartment-Therapy's Re-Nest. 
It has also been featured on Green Submarine.
You can see it on Tip Junkie as well.

I am going to steal them, to post here.
Except I don't really call it stealing, because it was my project, 
and I helped her write the directions.

And immediately after I post, I am going to get a picture of us to put in that frame.


Give Your Old Metal File Cabinet a Makeover

Posted by Gabrielle Blair
on July 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM



It seems like everyone I know owns a big, old, not-very-pretty file cabinet. A piece they inherited from an office job or from Mom's house or that they picked up at a garage sale.
If you own one and it's in need of a facelift, then you're in luck. I recently spotted this fun, inexpensive (only $20!) DIY for a filing cabinet by Jackie Sarager and asked her to share the how-to.


1) Prep.
Dust and clean your filing cabinet and take out the drawers. Take off the drawer handles and drawer label holders. (If you can, remove the lock -- but if it can't be removed, don't stress.)

2) Spray paint.
You'll need two cans of primer and two cans of paint -- both should be products made for metal. Use the primer first. Do two coats, 15 minutes apart. Let it dry for 24 hours, then put on two coats of the colored spray paint.

3) Vinyl.
Use "stripes" available from Wall Pops (you can also find these at Target). Each drawer will have two horizontal rows of vinyl. Line the top row up so it sits just on top of the lock, then wrap the edges around. (It doesn't have to match perfectly around the sides because once you close the drawer, it doesn't even show.)
For the bottom row of vinyl, make sure to align the pattern, then cut a small square out for the lock, slide the vinyl in place, and stick it down.

4) Finish.
Reattach the hardware and put the drawers back in the cabinet. Done!

Isn't that a cute (and cheap!) remake? With all the vinyl patterns available these days -- even custom options -- the possibilities are endless. Maybe you could even turn your drawer fronts into whiteboards or chalkboards. Fun!

15 comments:

christa elyce said...

THAT IS THE BEST IDEA! I am inspired and going to do that using photos for my office filing cabinet!!! Thank you Jackie!!!

christa elyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christa elyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

haha
I remember seeing that picture frame originally and thinking "I've never seen that picture of them, it's cute!"
lol

you're famous!

Kami said...

I have a small file cabinet that is in a much dire need of a make over. I remember your post about this and I think I said I was going to try it, but well, I never did :-) The conditions of my cabinet are near 'ugliness' so I love this 're-post' and if I ever come around to do it I'll definitely link it up to your post. :-) Oh, I still think it's fabulous!

Andrea and Preston said...

Jackie that filing cabinet is just so cute!!!!! I really want to make one now just like it!! You are always so creative! way to go!

Kimberly said...

That looks WAY better than a plain old file cabinet!

And, yeah, I think our babies ARE the same age! Your son is about 2.5 and your daughter is about 8 months? I think they were both born a month before each of my kiddos! :) Funny!

Sue said...

Nice fusion to create this post!

=)

Kim Klassen said...

completely inspired... and a feature at cafe mom.... soo exciting.

i seriously must try this!

thanks for sharing your link on the staycation site.

xxo, kim

Bridget said...

How exciting to be quoted!

andie jaye said...

this is such a great idea. i came across this from another blog and put it in my favorites folder. i just redid my filing cabinet. thanks for the inspiration!!! i credited you for the thought and included 3 links to your post/page. if this isn't okay, just let me know! here's the link http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/05/file-cabinet.html blessings, andiejaye (your newest follower)

QuesoJoe said...

hi! i love this idea. do you think the "Blox" would work instead of the "stripes" from wall pop? thanks!

Mrs. McKown said...

Just found this via Pinterest. Love this idea for my ugly cabinets at school! Traditionally I have just covered them with fabric, but this is so much better! Thanks for sharing!!
❤Mrs. McKown
Little Literacy Learners

Jackson said...

That does sound like a nice DIY project. If your file cabinet is placed in a room that you usually go into, making it look good would be a good idea. After all, the room itself would look more organized that way, like the files stored within the cabinet.

-Jackson Gaydosh

Im getting Married! said...

Do you think this would work with standard contact paper (wall paper) too, instead of the Wall Pops wall art.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...